Re: GPL "+" question

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 04:06:52PM +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:
> Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org> writes:
> > On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 03:09:34PM +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:
> >> Same for me. However: the (L)GPL allows even an unmodified
> >> redistribution under a later license.
> > This is key -- redistribution. It doesn't change the license.
>
> It does. Just look into the license (resp. the header, for simplicity):

No, it doesn't.

|   Each version is given a distinguishing version number. If the
| Library as you received it specifies that a certain numbered version
| of the GNU Lesser General Public License "or any later version"
| applies to it, you have the option of following the terms and
| conditions either of that published version or of any later version
| published by the Free Software Foundation.

Note this says you have the option of following the terms and conditions of
the version noted, *or* any later version, *not* that you relicense, you can
just follow different terms.

This means you can redistribute under the terms of whatever, but not relicense.

To relicense implies you hold copyright, since only the copyright holder
can license their works, even copylefted works.

> | you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU
> | General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation;
> | either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
>
> So, redistribution may change the license.

No, you may redistribute it under different terms, *not* relicense. You may
*use* GPLv2+ as GPLv3+, *BUT* the original work is *STILL* GPLv2+, since
you can't relicense works.

To relicense implies you hold copyright, since only the copyright holder
can license their works, even copylefted works.

Snipping the rest, this seems to be your major point of confusion.

Cheers,
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87