Re: FYI: debian-legal is discussing the inclusion in the Debian archive of "erotic" interactive fiction depicting the sexual abuse of children

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 11:07:20AM +0100, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> > *TRIGGER WARNING* in case it wasn't painfully obvious for this thread by
> > now.
>
> Thanks for the warning. Just for the record, I can confirm that there
> has been people already triggered by all this situation. We can't
> forget that, as the "global prevalence of child sexual abuse has been
> estimated at 19.7% for females and 7.9% for males" [1], in a mailing
> list of say 100 people, there are gonna be about 12 people who have
> gone through it, and the psychological consequences it has, even years
> later, makes that the triggering that these situations cause can be
> very hurtful. I'm not saying that there should be censorship regarding
> what and how we can discuss things just because emotions play a cig
> part of it, but I ask everyone involved to take it into account that
> we're hurting actual people that are part of the project just by
> having this debate.

Survivors of child sexual abuse can also suffer physical trauma requiring
repeated medical intervention throughout their life.  I'm sure most people can
comprehend this doesn't exactly help reduce any psychological trauma.

Kind regards
Lesley