Re: FYI: debian-legal is discussing the inclusion in the Debian archive of "erotic" interactive fiction depicting the sexual abuse of children

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:17:00AM +0100, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> This discussion might not be the last one about inclusion of content
> (pornography, violence, theory of evolution, bdsm, lgbt or whatever else one
> might find offensive) in Debian which is in some way illegal in one or more
> jurisdictions.  I didnt hear a word from ftp-masters on this yet but if content
> can't be included in "main" because then Debian's redistribution would be
> forbidden in a great number of jurisdictions, then why not create a new archive
> area for such content?

Because it is not Debian's mission to distribute all the bits.  We were all
very glad when we were able to get rid of the non-US archive, a decade ago -
and that was an archive for *very important* software that was essential to
security on the Internet (including, among other things, ssh and gpg).

There's no way that Debian should bring back per-country archives for
something less important than this - and certainly not for game content that
will by some people (and not necessarily just by those seeking to suppress
it) be seen as an endorsement of behaviors that violate people's human
rights.  Even if we had volunteers to work on this, the Debian project
should refuse their efforts and steer clear of this issue.

See also <https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2014/03/msg00145.html>.