Re: data and software licence incompatabilities?

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 10:55:33PM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 17:15:58 -0400 Paul Tagliamonte wrote:

> > On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 11:00:38PM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
> > > I respectfully disagree: I am convinced that the GNU GPL is far better
> > > than any CC license, for both programmatic and non-programmatic works.

> > > But that's not the point, anyway.
> > > What I was trying to say was just that having those files under
> > > GPL-compatible terms would erase any possible doubt (and also enable
> > > other potential uses that are currently forbidden).

> > Please don't spread FUD against the CC license set when it'll be
> > perfectly fine. (quite literally F.U.D. in this case). The CC licenses
> > are perfectly fine, no matter how much you disagree.

> CC licenses may be "perfectly fine" in *your* opinion.
> Apparently in many other people's opinion, too.
> But they are not in *my* opinion.

> I think I have a right to have my own opinion and to express it
> publicly, as long as I clearly describe it as my *own personal* opinion.

You have a right to your own opinion.  You do *not* have a right to express
it *on this list*.  The purpose of this list is to provide guidance to
maintainers and upstreams regarding *Debian's* definition of free software,
as well as guidance regarding the *legality* of particular combinations of
works.  You using the list as a soapbox for your opinions about licenses
that you think Debian *shouldn't* accept is an abuse of the list.