Re: data and software licence incompatabilities?

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 09:36:15 -0400 Paul Tagliamonte wrote:

> My own opinions below (not any sort of ftp* anything)
>
> On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 12:15:11PM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
> > > A database of place names. Read in as data when the program runs.
> >
> > If these attribute files are really just data read at run-time by the
> > program, I think that the license incompatibility should not be a
> > re-distribution legal issue.
> >

> Correct.
>

> > Anyway, persuading the copyright holder(s) of these attribute files to
> > re-license (or dual-license) them under the terms of the GNU GPL v2
> > would erase any doubt...
>
> This is absurd at best; there's no need to do this.

I don't think it's absurd and please note that I did *not* say there is
a *need* to do this.
I just said that a re-licensing under GPL-compatible terms would
eliminate any doubt. After all, if those files had already been
GPL-compatible, there would have been no doubt and this whole thread
would not have started in the first place...

> Such works as
> place-name databases are perfectly fine under CC-BY-SA 3.0 or better.
> (inb4 you tell us how much you hate CC-BY and it's not free to you, and
> the ftp-masters made a mistake) In fact, many works are *better*
> licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0 than GPL-2 or 3, since the GPL's terms are
> much better fit for code

I respectfully disagree: I am convinced that the GNU GPL is far better
than any CC license, for both programmatic and non-programmatic works.

But that's not the point, anyway.
What I was trying to say was just that having those files under
GPL-compatible terms would erase any possible doubt (and also enable
other potential uses that are currently forbidden).

[...]
> In addition, this is an absurd claim to start; the GIMP is GPL-3, can we
> not edit CC-BY-SA images in the GIMP? The GIMP reads these files at
> runtime, too!
[...]

Once again, that's not what I said.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!