Re: data and software licence incompatabilities?

My own opinions below (not any sort of ftp* anything)

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 12:15:11PM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
> > A database of place names. Read in as data when the program runs.
>
> If these attribute files are really just data read at run-time by the
> program, I think that the license incompatibility should not be a
> re-distribution legal issue.

Correct.

> Anyway, persuading the copyright holder(s) of these attribute files to
> re-license (or dual-license) them under the terms of the GNU GPL v2
> would erase any doubt...

This is absurd at best; there's no need to do this. Such works as
place-name databases are perfectly fine under CC-BY-SA 3.0 or better.
(inb4 you tell us how much you hate CC-BY and it's not free to you, and
the ftp-masters made a mistake) In fact, many works are *better*
licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0 than GPL-2 or 3, since the GPL's terms are
much better fit for code (just as you'd not ask someone to license code
under CC-BY-SA, since that's also silly)

In addition, this is an absurd claim to start; the GIMP is GPL-3, can we
not edit CC-BY-SA images in the GIMP? The GIMP reads these files at
runtime, too!

I don't think it's not a combined work if it's reading the data file at
runtime.

Cheers,
  Paul

--