Re: "dissident test" has been proven wrong and should not be used any more

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 09:40:20AM -0400, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:04:22PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > Agh ... who added this ... test should be done only to DFSG.  The
> > proposed "dissident test" does not work and is proven to be wrong in
> > some cases already.
>
> DFSG 5, No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups
>
> If I'm a freedom fighter (or, political activist in the middle east
> right exactly now), I want to be able to use Debian to help work with my
> other freedom fighters, without the gov't knowing I even have such
> software.
>
> If I change Tor slightly for our use, and distribute it as TorForkOne, I
> don't want to have to put my real name, real anything.

I do not see such requirement in this license.  TorForkOne can be
considered "organization name" for this case.  So what is the problem?

> If it just needs any name, fine, but not my real one.
>
> It's not wrong, I think this is a perfectly great application of DFSG
> point 5.
>
> More simply, it checks for license that discriminates against people who
> wish to not use their real name, for privacy or otherwise.

But that is not the only outcome of the famous but ill guided "dissident
test".  That is why we need to use DFSG itself and stop using "dissident
test".  This has been discussed many times.

I also think if a person is a real dissident who is determind to violate
lethal legal requirements of his regime, he will not hesitate to violate
a petit legal requirement of the license text. He will use any tools
available in his hand to change his regime.  So why worry about
unenforceable part of the license text.  That is what I think.

For more http://wiki.debian.org/IpadicLicense .

Osamu