Re: Non-DFSG license change by original author

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 09:39:45AM +0200, Olе Streicher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> during packaging of casacore <http://bugs.debian.org/686924> which is
> licensed as LGPL-2, I found a file that contradicts this license and is
> also not DFSG compliant (install/printer/range.c; has a "you may not
> sell this program" clause).
>
> I asked the original author (which has no relation to upstream) whether
> he could put the file under LGPL, and he agreed. Also, the upstream
> authors are informed.
>
> However, how shall I deal/document this in the copyright file?
> Is it enough to just put a note there

You can simply explain it in debian/copyright like you explained here on the
debian-legal list, and you can quote relevant e-mails.

> (and possibly put a patch with the license change into debian/patches),

Not needed, in my opinion.

> or shall I still create a +dfsg tarball by removing the file in question and
> then re-add the newly licensed file with a patch?

Not needed, in my opinion.

> I just don't want to wait until upstream releases a new version with possibly
> changing the copyright info in this file.

No need to wait for a newer upstream release, in my opinion.

Regards,

Bart Martens