Re: Nuitka - GPLv3 plus contribution copyright assignment

Christofer C. Bell, 2012-01-05 17:18+0100:
> Would it be possible to have, instead, a contributor agreement that
> allows contributors to retain copyright while at the same time
> granting you a non-transferable, non-revokable, exclusive right to
> relicense their contribution under the ASF2.0 license at a time of
> your choosing?

If, as I said, you are thinking about a project management solution,
good, because in order to avoid license proliferation and legal
questionning by every single distributor, I think it would be better and
safer to stay with the unmodified GPL and not add that kind of thing to
the license itself.

Now, given that you are the main author, which means that, without your
code, contributions would be unusable, I think there is an even easier
way to achieve the same purpose in practice: simply ask contributors to
license their changes under the ASF. Since the GPL is considered as a
superset of the ASF, that means:
* you, and noone else, would be able to relicense your code under the GPL;
* anyone would be able to relicense contributed code under the GPL.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I understood that you are trying to avoid
that anyone would be able to relicense your project until you relicense
it yourself when you see fit. Since, as I said, you are the main author
and the project would be unusable without your code, I think this goal
would be achieved with that mean.

--
 ,--.
: /` )   Tanguy Ortolo <xmpp:tanguy@ortolo.eu> <irc://irc.oftc.net/Tanguy>