Re: Nuitka - GPLv3 plus contribution copyright assignment

Kay Hayen, 2012-01-05 14:45+0100:
> I didn't forbid "commercial" use at all. What made you think that I do?
>
> When explaining my intent, I just made it clear, that I do not - at this
> time - want a heavy investment by a competitor with the goal to sell
> Closed Source licenses. In principle I am not against that though.

Well, if the GPLv3 is fine, and you simply want to explain some of your
purposes, I think you could do so with an additional statement such as:

    This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
    the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
    (at your option) any later version.

    Although you are free to sell this program according to the terms of
    the GPLv3, I would not like that, and this is why I chose this
    license, that should make most attempts of doing so non-viable.
    [or whatever similar text you may want to write]

Since such a statement does not require anything, I think it should not
render your program non-free, just programs suggesting that the user may
thank the author by buying him a beer are free as long as this is a
suggestion and not a requirement.

But honestly, my opinion is that people and companies, at least the ones
that care about licenses, already understand the GPL enough to know what
it implies. And although there are people and companies that do not care
about licenses, there is nothing that you could do to make them do or
not do whatever you want them to.

--
 ,--.
: /` )   Tanguy Ortolo <xmpp:tanguy@ortolo.eu> <irc://irc.oftc.net/Tanguy>