Re: a Free Platform License?

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 04:05:01PM +0100, Hugo Roy wrote:
> I don't understand what is the restriction on running the software. The
> AGPL does not say anything about proxies and firewalls. You can have
> them, or not; it does not care AFAICS.

The reason for there being an AGPL was thus: People started offering web
services based on GPL software. RMS would have liked to obtain the source
code. The GPL did not force the people to disclose their source code,
because it only restricts distribution, not use. And the web services were
only used, not distributed.
Hence the AGPL restricts use by design.

The above is not intended to convey my opinion on the AGPL, just to prove
that it does in fact restrict use.

Best regards,

  Mark Weyer