Re: a Free Platform License?

* Hugo Roy <hugo@fsfe.org> [111129 08:35]:
> Anyway, what I am looking for is more specific:
>
> > > Since I promised I'd mention DFSG-compliance-or-not: some
> > > debian-legal regulars disagree with the ftpmasters' decision to
> > > allow AGPL software into Debian. I personally think the AGPL is a
> > > Free license, but one with significant practical problems.
> >
> > I'm quite new on this list, can you point us to the rationale behind
> > the debate?

I guess you need to rephrase that. I understood it as question why some
DDs consider AGPL a non-free license. What did you mean?

> I don't get the link between AGPL and restrictions on firewalls and
> proxies. As soon as your version of the software provides for remote
> network interaction, you must "offer" a way for them to get the source
> code (in a way consistent with the rest of the license, which is exactly
> the same as the GPL). It doesn't care if the interaction is behind
> firewalls etc., it doesn't care either about access to the source code,
> it can be behind firewalls or whatever.

Which is a restriction on running the software. The GPL has no
restriction on running, it has only restrictions on distribution.
What good is it that I am allowed to share modifications to software
if I am not allowed to run it?

	Bernhard R. Link