Re: CodeIgniter license

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 10:22:10 +0100 Steve McIntyre wrote:

> Bojan Sudarevi wrote:
> >On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 12:28 AM, Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:
> >
> >> I think the already cited previous thread [1] explains the issues of
> >> the license in detail.
> >>
> >> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2008/10/msg00048.html
> >>
> >> Moreover, I don't think that "no final conclusion has been reached" in
> >> that thread, as Bojan instead claims.
> >> After re-reading the thread, it seems to me that the majority of the
> >> people who participated to that discussion agreed that there were some
> >> issues that made the license unacceptable for main.
> >>

> >My apologies. I had no intention to waste your time.

No problem, Bojan, it's not a matter of wasting someone's time.
It's just that I fail to see any new fact that would bring us to a
different conclusion...

> >I am probably in
> >a state of denial because of time and efforts I had already put in my
> >project, so I didn't *want* that previous thread to mean "no,
> >CodeIgniter license is not DFSG-free".

I can understand!
It's always frustrating when you come to think that something fails to
comply with the DFSG, you tell upstream and get a reply like "I fail to
see any issue"...

> >Also, thank you for your definitive answer to my question.
>
> There is no definitive answer here.

Steve, I am not claiming that mine (or anyone else's, here) is a
definitive answer.
I think it's the conclusion you can get *on debian-legal*, unless new
facts are discovered.

Then, of course, the license analysis may be pointed out to FTP
Masters, if someone wants to package CodeIgniter, and FTP Masters will
decide if it can be shipped in main or in contrib or in non-free.
FTP Masters may ignore the conclusion reached on debian-legal (as they
did several times, sadly) or may take it into account: it's up to them
to decide.

Unfortunately, FTP Masters almost never provide a rationale for their
decisions, hence it's hard to say how useful this mailing list actually
is...   :-(

> Statements from a couple of people
> on the debian-legal list that they don't like certain parts of the
> license is not a clear decision that it is not free. The real decision
> comes from the FTP team.

Of course the final decision is taken by the FTP Masters, but I don't
think it's accurate to say that the conclusion was reached by "a couple
of people".

After taking another look at the previously cited thread, I think
there's a clear majority of people who thought that the license was not
acceptable for main:

CodeIgniter license   is OK  is not OK
--------------------------------------
Francesco Poli         [ ]      [v]
Ben Finney             [ ]      [v]
Sean Kellogg           [ ]      [v]
Josselin Mouette       [v]      [ ]
MJ Ray                 [ ]      [v]

Anyone who feels his opinion is being misrepresented by this summary
table is encouraged to speak up and correct me...

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/progs/scripts/pdebuild-hooks.html
 Need some pdebuild hook scripts?