Re: CodeIgniter license

Bojan Sudarević <bojan@sudarevic.com> writes:

> You are permitted to use, copy, modify, and distribute the Software
> and its documentation, with or without modification, for any purpose,
> provided that the following conditions are met:

Grants all the freedoms needed. So far so good.

> 1. A copy of this license agreement must be included with the distribution.
>
> 2. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice in
>    all source code files.
>
> 3. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice
>    in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
>    distribution.

The above three restrictions are essentially the same as restrictions
acceptable in other DFSG-free works. Good.

> 4. Any files that have been modified must carry notices stating the nature
>    of the change and the names of those who changed them.

This is unusual. It seems to be requiring a changelog for *each file*,
appearing *in that file*. This is a cost that I'm not sure is
reasonable.

Its requirement for the modifier's name to be recorded is also a
concern. I think the “Dissident” test is violated by this.

> 5. Products derived from the Software must include an acknowledgment that
>    they are derived from CodeIgniter in their documentation and/or other
>    materials provided with the distribution.

This is much less a problem; a similar restriction is in the GNU GPL,
and does not appear to violate DFSG.

> 6. Products derived from the Software may not be called "CodeIgniter",
>    nor may "CodeIgniter" appear in their name, without prior written
>    permission from EllisLab, Inc.

Renaming requirements are annoying but probably DFSG-free.

> INDEMNITY
> You agree to indemnify and hold harmless the authors of the Software and
> any contributors for any direct, indirect, incidental, or consequential
> third-party claims, actions or suits, as well as any related expenses,
> liabilities, damages, settlements or fees arising from your use or misuse
> of the Software, or a violation of any terms of this license.

This look a bit of an over-reach. I don't know of a DFSG-work that has a
similar clause; it might be too high a bar.

> DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY
> THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESSED OR
> IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF QUALITY, PERFORMANCE,
> NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY, OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>
> LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY
> YOU ASSUME ALL RISK ASSOCIATED WITH THE INSTALLATION AND USE OF THE
> SOFTWARE. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS OF THE SOFTWARE
> BE LIABLE FOR CLAIMS, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY ARISING FROM, OUT OF, OR IN
> CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE. LICENSE HOLDERS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR
> DETERMINING THE APPROPRIATENESS OF USE AND ASSUME ALL RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH
> ITS USE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE RISKS OF PROGRAM ERRORS, DAMAGE TO
> EQUIPMENT, LOSS OF DATA OR SOFTWARE PROGRAMS, OR UNAVAILABILITY OR
> INTERRUPTION OF OPERATIONS.

Hard to read because of the SHOUTY CAPITALS, but I can't see a problem.

So the main problem I see is the requirement in condition 4, for a full
changelog in every file that includes every person who modifies it to be
recorded by name.

--
 \      “In case of fire, do your utmost to alarm the porter.” —hotel, |
  `\                                                            Vienna |