Re: distributing precompiled binaries

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 17:40:06 -0400 Greg Harris wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 18:52:45 +0200
> Francesco Poli wrote:
[...]
> > As far as I am concerned, I do *not* want to separate documentation
> > and programs from fonts, graphics, sounds, and so forth.
> > I am convinced that *all* these works need to have source available in
> > order to comply with the DFSG and be called Free.
[...]
> With all due respect, I think you are mixing issues here. I don't think
> anyone has advanced an argument that anything, including data, should
> not be covered by the DFSG.

My understanding is that an argument is being advanced by Steve
Langasek that "Source is only mandatory for programs under the DFSG as
written" [1]

This is applying the DFSG in a weaker sense for non-programmatic works
than for programs.

I think we already discussed this issue on this list: see some past
threads [2][3][4].

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2009/03/msg00136.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/07/msg00514.html
[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/07/msg00441.html
[4] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/03/msg00149.html

[...]
> If an upstream author chooses to offer non-text data under a free
> license, the format in which the data is offered should, in the first
> instance, be within the discretion of the author.

The format choice is within the author's discretion, but whether we
consider the work as complying with the DFSG (or not) is within *our*
discretion.

When there is no source (== preferred form for making modifications)
available, I do not think we should call the work DFSG-free.
This holds for programs, for manuals, for images, for audio files, and
so forth...

Once again, IANADD & TINASOTODP.

--
 New location for my website! Update your bookmarks!
 http://www.inventati.org/frx