Re: distributing precompiled binaries

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 23:02:06 -0700 Steve Langasek wrote:

[...]
> It's reasonable for you to hold the position that this is "not free".  But
> that's not what the DFSG says; and before someone tries to change the DFSG
> to say this, I would recommend someone try to come up with a brighter line
> to separate documentation than, e.g., fonts, graphics, sounds, and videos
> than just "more people edit documents".

As far as I am concerned, I do *not* want to separate documentation and
programs from fonts, graphics, sounds, and so forth.
I am convinced that *all* these works need to have source available in
order to comply with the DFSG and be called Free.

And I respectfully disagree with your claim that the DFSG don't apply
(or apply in a weaker sense) to documentation, or graphics, or sounds,
or whatever.
As Bruce Perens clarified, the original intent was for the DFSG to
apply to everything distributed in Debian (main):

| When designing the DFSG, I was considering the contents of a Debian CD,
| much like the Official Debian ISO image, containing all of the Debian
| software and documentation.
[...]
| I intended for the entire contents of that CD to be under the rights
| stated in the DSFG - be they software, documentation, or data.

Please see
for the context.

As usual, IANADD, TINASOTODP.

--
 New location for my website! Update your bookmarks!
 http://www.inventati.org/frx