Re: distributing precompiled binaries

Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> writes:

> When there is no source (== preferred form for making modifications)
> available, I do not think we should call the work DFSG-free.

I would clarify the ambiguity of “available”: The upstream
developer, by definition, has available a preferred form of the work
for making modifications to it.

That is the source, and works for which that source is not made
available *to recipients* of the work (with all the rest of the DFSG
freedoms and requirements) should not be considered DFSG-free.

--
 \                “Every sentence I utter must be understood not as an |
  `\                      affirmation, but as a question.” —Niels Bohr |