Re: Let's stop feeding the NVidia cuckoo

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 15:47:36 -0800 Steve Langasek wrote:

> The DFSG says that for
> programs, we must have access to the source.  It does not say that we
> have to have access to the source for things that are not programs.

I'm still surprised to hear that.
Once it was clear that DFSG are considered valid Freeness criteria for
each piece of software (both programs and non-programs), I thought the
cases in which they use the word "program" were merely examples and the
same criteria holded for non-programs too.

Otherwise, I find many other sentences that fall down when talking about
non-programs, besides DFSG#2.

| 1. Free Redistribution
|
|    The license of a Debian component may not restrict any party from
|    selling or giving away the software as a component of an aggregate
|    software distribution containing programs from several different
|    sources. The license may not require a royalty or other fee for
|    such sale.

It seems that I can restrict some party from selling or giving away the
software as a component of an aggregate software distribution containing
images from several different sources.
It say "programs", not "parts", nor "pieces of software", nor...

Is this your interpretation?
:-?

[...]
| 4. Integrity of The Author's Source Code
|
|    The license may restrict source-code from being distributed in
|    modified form _only if the license allows the distribution of
|    "patch files" with the source code for the purpose of modifying the
|    program at build time.

It seems that patch-only licenses are allowed for programs, but not for
manuals.

Is this your interpretation?
:-?

[...]
| 6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
|
|    The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program
|    in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict
|    the program from being used in a business, or from being used for
|    genetic research.

It seems that I can restrict someone from making use of a music track in
a specific field of endeavor.

Is this your interpretation?
:-?

| 7. Distribution of License
|
|    The rights attached to the program must apply to all to whom the
|    program is redistributed without the need for execution of an
|    additional license by those parties.

It seems that I can require execution of an additional license by other
parties to whom an image is redistributed.

Is this your interpretation?
:-?

| 8. License Must Not Be Specific to Debian
|
|    The rights attached to the program must not depend on the program's
|    being part of a Debian system. If the program is extracted from
|    Debian and used or distributed without Debian but otherwise within
|    the terms of the program's license, all parties to whom the program
|    is redistributed should have the same rights as those that are
|    granted in conjunction with the Debian system.

It seems that the license for a manual may be Debian-specific.

Is this your interpretation?
:-?

Please, do not misunderstand me.
I'm not sarcastic: I'm really curious about your actual interpretation,
since I was very surprised to hear that you think DFSG#2 applies to
programs only.

--
          Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4