Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

2008/8/18 MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop>:
> I think there are other unclear aspects of the licence, some of which
> may give rise to loopholes that we can use, which are largely similar
> to those in AGPLv2 outlined by Anthony Towns in
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/03/msg00380.html

This is quite relevant in this discussion too, btw:

"""
Since it's viral, it means you can't take some nifty url parsing function
from your favourite webapp, and use it in, say, xchat or an IRC bot
(depending on how you want to interpret "interact with users"), without
having to give xchat some method of exporting its source code via HTTP
(or maybe DCC, or similar). If the license was effective, and it covered
a large program, you wouldn't be able to use it on small sites since the
"request source" would be a trivial denial of service attack -- if not
on your machine or connection, potentially on your wallet for those of
us who have to pay for traffic.
"""

Especially when, in the case of pysoy, a part of the program is a
plugin for Mozilla, which will likely make AGPL extend to the whole
browser if you use it. I really have serious concerns about its
DFSG-freeness.

Greetings,
Miry