Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

"Miriam Ruiz" <miriam@debian.org> wrote:
> 2008/8/16 Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org>:
> > Since I was not convinced, I  was planning to upload clipperz, an AGPLv3
> > licensed password manager and let ftp-masters decide if AGPLv3 is OK for

What is unconvincing?

[...]
> Francesco Poli enumerates 2 concerns about the license [1], which
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/09/msg00032.html
> remain unchanged:
> * There is not a clear definition of what a remote user is.

I think there are other unclear aspects of the licence, some of which
may give rise to loopholes that we can use, which are largely similar
to those in AGPLv2 outlined by Anthony Towns in

> * There is a use restriction, that may be associated with a significant cost.

BTW, I'm currently awaiting a reply from some experts about whether
that cost of that use restriction prevents use by some groups
entirely, for reasons that are pretty unrelated.

The AGPLv3 is vague enough that I'd also avoid the GPLv3 for now.

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef