Re: web hosting providers' modified .debs

On Jan 25, 2008 12:07 AM, Matthew Johnson <mjj29@debian.org> wrote:
> You can execute things you cannot read:
>
> $ ls -l /bin/ls
> ---x--x--x 1 root root 77352 2007-01-30 18:51 /bin/ls

Thanks. I stand corrected.

However, presumably for many programs licensed under GPL v.3 there
will be a number of associated non-executable files (e.g. under /etc)
for which read permissions need to remain in place. If you have a
GPLed package, I'm not sure what the implications are of "conveying"
the non-executable files while merely "propagating" (without
conveying) the binaries.

John

(TINLA)