Re: web hosting providers' modified .debs

Ken Arromdee wrote:
> "To "propagate" a work means to do anything with it that, without
> permission, would make you directly or secondarily liable for
> infringement under applicable copyright law, except executing it on a
> computer or modifying a private copy. Propagation includes copying,
> distribution (with or without modification), making available to the
> public, and in some countries other activities as well."

Is that second sentence intended to be declarative or explanatory?
The part "making available to the public" would seem to cover the
situation with a world-readable /bin/ls, assuming that users on
the system fall under "public".

> doesn't make you liable for infringement.  (Imagine the situation where
> the software isn't GPL.  If I lend you my laptop, that doesn't make me
> liable for infringement just because the copy of Microsoft Windows on it
> is readable and could be copied.)

But if it *were* copied, wouldn't that make you secondarily liable
under the MGM/Grokster doctrine?

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself
              Arnoud blogt nu ook: http://blog.iusmentis.com/