Re: Logo trademark license vs. copyright license

Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 07:02:11PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Firstly, much of this thread seems to be taken up by people saying that the
> > project can't disallow things which we don't think reflect badly on debian
> > but other people generally do.  Why is this different?
>
> Huh?  Do I understand right that you're asking me to justify others'
> contributions to this thread?

No.  I'm asking why this is any different.  If we should protect our goodwill,
then my concern is justified.

> > Secondly, if any debian developers think sweatshop-sewn shirts of cotton
> > subsidised by one of the world's richest countries reflect well on the
> > project,
>
> The inverse of "reflects badly" is not "reflects well", it's "does not
> reflect badly".

If any debian developers think sweatshop-sewn shirts of subsidised cotton
does not reflect badly on the project, that's disappointing and contrary
to recent surveys in the news.

Now, any got a reply to the substance rather than the language?  Why should
we protect goodwill in one narrow way while allowing it to slip away in
another more widespread way?

I believe gambling debian goodwill on our derivatives is less dangerous
than the current gambling of debian goodwill on unethical merchandise.

Regards,
--
MJR/slef