Re: Logo trademark license vs. copyright license

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 11:26:11AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hrm, there is a difference between *referencing* a trademark when
> > criticizing the holder, and *using* the mark, in trade, in a way that
> > reflects badly on Debian.  [...]

> Two data points:

> SJVN's use of the debian trademark when criticising the distribution is
> fine (unlike the actual criticism, which is buggy).

Heh, yes, exactly.

> Businesses selling probably-sweatshop-sewn T-shirts (maybe made from
> subsidised US cotton) reflect badly on debian, but are also permitted.

> However, both are currently permitted.

Er, businesses selling t-shirts using the official debian logo is *not*
permitted.  Currently, the manner in which this is being disallowed is
suboptimal, but it's still not something that we *permit*.  (Perhaps what
you're suggesting is that t-shirt manufacturers don't have to get permission
because we have a mark in the field of computers/software, not in the field
of clothing; but if what's being sold is Debian-related clothing, it's still
the Debian mark that's being used, and it is infringement that we have
standing to prevent.)

Further, it's up to *Debian* to decide what uses of the logo reflect badly
on it and consequently should be disallowed because we don't wish to be
associated with them.  Your above statement includes an implicit value
judgement about which sorts of activities Debian will or will not wish to be
associated with, which may not be at all representative of the views of the
project members at large.