Re: Using a CC-3.0-BY file as data file for a GPL program

Francesco Poli wrote:
> Can anyone more knowledgeable than me on these topics shed some light,
> please?
> The main question is: do I really need a copyright license to use,
> modify and/or redistribute such a (published) database?

If the selection of the data that was put in the database involved
creative activity by its maker, then yes you need a copyright license.
If the database was created by a European company, then you need
a license under its database right. (No database rights for US publishers)

You do not need a license from the database publisher to create
a program that can read databases in the format used by that database.
A format or structure is a mere idea or concept and is not covered
by copyright.

If you have to sign an NDA before you get a copy of the database,
then you can't create a free or open source program that can read
that database format. That would be leaking of confidential information.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself
              Arnoud blogt nu ook: http://blog.iusmentis.com/