Re: Using a CC-3.0-BY file as data file for a GPL program

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 19:03:05 +0530 Shriramana Sharma wrote:

[...]
> It's a program related to astronomy that requires latitude, longitude
> and elevation of places to calculate sunrise, sunset etc. For that I
> found the database from geonames.org. This database has a certain
> internal format which the program will be hard-coded to utilize.

What does the database include which is actually covered by copyright?
It is my understanding (or hope?) that one cannot claim copyright over
factual data, like latitudes, longitudes and elevations of places...

In some (European?) jurisdictions, there are laws defining exclusive
rights over databases, but I'm not familiar with the way these "database
protection" laws interact with copyright licenses (such as CC-by-v3.0).

Can anyone more knowledgeable than me on these topics shed some light,
please?
The main question is: do I really need a copyright license to use,
modify and/or redistribute such a (published) database?

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/nanodocs/testing_workstation_install.html
 Need to read a Debian testing installation walk-through?