Re: Debian Logo license infringement

> "Ricardo Yanez" <ricardo.yanez@calel.org> writes:
>> I've been approached by what seems to be an attorney from a Chilean
>> NGO called "Derechos Digitales" (http://www.derechosdigitales.org/),
>> pointing out that a financial newspaper called "Diario Financiero"
>> (http://www.elfinanciero.cl/) is using the Debian swirl logo
>> illegally.
>> He wants to represent Debian in some sort of legal action.
> Do you know his motivations for offering this?

No, I can't say I know his motivation, although this NGO seems to be a
non-profit organization, formed around the University of Chile, with the
intention of defending human rights in the digital world. At least that's
what they claim in their "About Us" page.

>> Is this something Debian pursues?
> The Debian trademarks and copyrights are held by Software in the
> Public Interest. The logos each have a copyright license
> <URL:http://www.debian.org/logos/>, but the discussion of the policy
> on trademark licensing is ongoing
> <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/ProposedTrademarkPolicy>.
> If the lawyer wants to, they can contact SPI to get a more official
> answer than this mailing list can provide.

I'll pass the information.

Ricardo Yanez