Re: Debian Logo license infringement

"Ricardo Yanez" <ricardo.yanez@calel.org> writes:

> I've been approached by what seems to be an attorney from a Chilean
> NGO called "Derechos Digitales" (http://www.derechosdigitales.org/),
> pointing out that a financial newspaper called "Diario Financiero"
> (http://www.elfinanciero.cl/) is using the Debian swirl logo
> illegally.
>
> He wants to represent Debian in some sort of legal action.

Do you know his motivations for offering this?

> Is this something Debian pursues?

The Debian trademarks and copyrights are held by Software in the
Public Interest. The logos each have a copyright license
<URL:http://www.debian.org/logos/>, but the discussion of the policy
on trademark licensing is ongoing
<URL:http://wiki.debian.org/ProposedTrademarkPolicy>.

If the lawyer wants to, they can contact SPI to get a more official
answer than this mailing list can provide.

--
 \       "Success is going from one failure to the next without a loss |
  `\                             of enthusiasm."  -- Winston Churchill |