Re: DPL's view of debian-legal (was: Debian Trademarks Summary)

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 05:38:20PM +0100, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 09:59:50AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > I think the Anthony Towns DPLship was not a fun time for those trying
> > to fix legal bugs and it should have been ended sooner.

You know, beyond the initial offensiveness, this is actually a pretty
remarkable statement.

In 2006, we had:

	- a resolution on the DFSG-free status of the GFDL
	- a resolution of the licensing problems preventing us from
	  distributing Java at all, including, eventually, legal advice
	  via SPI to that effect
	- DFSG-free updates to creative commons licenses
	- new draft of the GFDL resolving Debian's other concerns
	- a resolution on how we approach sourceless firmware
	- Java licensed under the GPL
	- a recommendation to SPI on a free copyright license and
	  more free trademark handling for our logos that's since been
	  acted on, and is now just pending an announcement by the DPL

All of those have been causing problems for Debian users for years; if
you don't find getting actual solutions to those sorts of legal issues
"fun", maybe you're in the wrong business.

Cheers,
aj