Re: slepc license

Ondrej Certik <ondrej@certik.cz> wrote:
> I would like to package SLEPc eigenvalue solvers[0] into non-free, the
> license is below. There is a line "A modified version of the software
> cannot be redistributed". The debian package can be built without
> modificating the upstream sources though, so my question is, can it go
> into non-free?

In the absence of any definition of what they mean by a modified
version, I think a binary package is a modified version of the source.

(This is not a new worry:
)

> And if not, the upstream authors asked me what words
> should be added to the license in order for the Debian to be able to
> distribute it in non-free?

Permission to distribute binary packages at least.  While you're asking,
why not ask for it as free software?  Even one with an obnoxious ad
clause (so they get their attribution) would be an improvement.

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef