Re: DPL's view of debian-legal (was: Debian Trademarks Summary)

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 09:59:50AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> > [...] but when either group purports to be stating official
> > Debian policy, or starts attacking the people who do make such policy,
> > that becomes actively harmful to the purpose of this list and the goals
> > of the project.
> But, despite writing that lists can't be assigned blame, here we go again!
> The *group* attacks the policy-makers, does it?

I'm sorry, it would have been more correct to have written "members of
either group purport to be stating official Debian policy, or start
attacking the people who do make such policy, and treating their
membership in the group as sufficient qualification to be issuing
authoritative statements on behalf of the project, it becomes actively
harmful to the purposes of this list and the goals of the project."

> I think the Anthony Towns DPLship was not a fun time for those trying
> to fix legal bugs and it should have been ended sooner.

I think MJ Ray's contributions to -legal and SPI actively discourage
other people from contributing, and that effect is probably more harmful
to the goals of the project than his contributions are beneficial.

Gosh, what fun it is to trade pointless insults on a mailing list.

> The most
> significant progress seemed to be the delegation of trademark and
> copyright instruction to Branden Robinson (which I linked in the summary),
> but then those things seemed to return to DPL control again somehow.

Unfortunately Branden didn't do anything following the initial draft
of the wiki page, so I continued the work from there, as is recorded in
the video of the lca miniconf and mails to the -project list.

This was, of course, more than you ever did to help define a trademark
policy, which consisted of complaining that nobody was doing anything,
then not providing any support when anyone was doing anything.

Cheers,
aj