Re: conquer relicensing

Michael Poole wrote:
> Arnoud Engelfriet writes:
> > However I didn't see a signature in the text file.
> > Only the guy's name.
>
> At least in the US, the relevant law (why I mentioned "affirmative
> acts") is what make click-through agreements binding -- the act of
> clicking is the user's electronic "signature".  My thought is that his
> writing out of that paragraph would also suffice to show affirmative
> assent.

I'm not sure. The statute calls for "signed by the owner",
but not to show assent to an agreement. It's a one-sided
statement that has to serve as evidence that the copyright
has transferred. I can see how typing in my name could be
construed as evidence of my acceptance of your offer. But
if a statute explicitly calls for "signed", wouldn't something
like a proper PGP signature be called for?

> (In pre-computer times, did not thumbprints or 'X's qualify as
> signatures?  My understanding is that a contract marked with one of
> those was generally binding on whomever made such a mark.)

Ok, ok, I'm not up-to-speed on 1600s English caselaw. :-)

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself