conquer relicensing

Hi all,

I'm new dealing with licenses and I've been trying to catch up, however
I need advice.

Edward M Barlow wrote "conquer", a middle earth multi-player curses
based game, and posted it in USENET at comp.sources.games around 1987
and 1988. Later Adam Bryant contributing with code and patching the
original sources.

Recently I managed to contact Ed Barlow and asked him for permission to
relicense conquer as free software. My concerns are around the
contributed code of Adam Bryant who I didn't manage to contact.
Please check the original C source code of conquer v4.11 at  [1] and
look that three files (navy.c, sort.c, and trade.c) specially the
latter have a notice like this:

/*conquer : Copyright (c) 1988 by Ed Barlow.*/
/*
* The following file "trade.c" was written by Adam Bryant who
* gives all rights to this code to Ed Barlow provided that this
* message remains intact.
*/

Could the code be relicensed as GPL v.2 or any compatible license with
this notices?

Thanks,

Juan

[1]. http://vejeta.no-ip.org/conquerv4/