Re: [Fwd: Re: Problem with license of msv-xsdlib]

"Eric Lavarde - Debian" <deb@zorglub.s.bawue.de> wrote in message [🔎] 4506ECD8.4000801@zorglub.s.bawue.de">news:[🔎] 4506ECD8.4000801@zorglub.s.bawue.de...
Hello,

I sent the below email already a while ago, but didn't receive any answer.
Can someone tell me what's wrong? Did I miss some important point of netiquette, or FAQ to read before asking stupid questions?

No, Your question seems fine. I'm not sure why nobody responded.
The CDDL is fairly disputed, and it may be that nobody wanted to respond out
of fear of starting another flamewar.

Eric Lavarde - Debian wrote:
Hi,

our package msv-xsdlib [1] has been refused even from non-free due to
license issues. Hence I've contacted the upstream developer (from Sun) and
got the answer below.

As I understand from different discussions that the CDDL license in
critical in regard to "freeness", I have some questions:
1. will a CDDL license allow us to put the package at least into non-free?

I suspect so. I am not aware of any distrbutibility problems with the licence,
or any clauses that open Debian (or the ftpmasters) to excessive liability,
and those are the only two types of problems I can think of that would
keep a package out of non-free.

2. will a CDDL license allow us to put the package into main/contrib?

This is disputed. It is unclear to me. As it is the ftp-masters decision, they are the only
ones who could tell you that.