Re: Sun Java available from non-free

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 07:43:42PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> To a degree, yes. In this particular case, ftpmaster are the maintainers
> of the archive, and their statements on what's suitable for the archive
> are authoritative by definition -- that's precisely what their area of
> authority is. The same thing applies when the dpkg maintainer speaks
> about dpkg -- every maintainer is an authority on their own package.

Of course, but the "authority of doing something" and "Debian position"
are different concepts. One is techical decision and the other a policy
decision. The ftpmaster implement the policy but do not decide it.

> Beyond that, the DPL is authorised to "make statements of support
> for points of view or for other members of the project, when asked
> or otherwise" (5.1.2), which I've done above, and that is an elected
> position, if you feel that makes a difference.

Could you be more specific about the "above" ? i.e. Where did you
make a (5.1.2) statement ?

In that case, I would suggest Constitution 5.3.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.