Re: Sun Java available from non-free

On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 12:13:16PM +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 09:57:40AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > position. Debian's position, as consistently expressed by ftpmaster,
> > on this list, and in the press, is that the license is acceptable for
> > non-free, and that is also Sun's position.
> Just for clarification, a position expressed by a person that has a
> special position but is not elected is to be considered an official
> statement by the project?

To a degree, yes. In this particular case, ftpmaster are the maintainers
of the archive, and their statements on what's suitable for the archive
are authoritative by definition -- that's precisely what their area of
authority is. The same thing applies when the dpkg maintainer speaks
about dpkg -- every maintainer is an authority on their own package.

Beyond that, the DPL is authorised to "make statements of support
for points of view or for other members of the project, when asked
or otherwise" (5.1.2), which I've done above, and that is an elected
position, if you feel that makes a difference.

Those aren't the final word; technical statements by maintainers can be
overruled by the technical committee, and pretty much anything can be
overruled by a general resolution of some sort or another, but, just
for clarification, yes that really is the way things work in Debian.

Cheers,
aj

--
Anthony Towns -- Debian Project Leader