Re: FYI: Savannah seems to reject "GPLv2 only" projects

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 02:08:42 +0100 MJ Ray wrote:

> Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it>
> > On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:28:03 +0000 MJ Ray wrote:
> > > Long term, hosting it yourself under a distributed RCS and using
> > > something like DOAP to keep project metadata seems the best bet.
> > > If others would like to help document the tools and methods,
> > > please let me know and we can make it a proof-of-concept project,
> > > hack support into existing hosts and that sort of thing. I had a
> > > bit of an attempt with coopX some years ago, but it was too early
> > > and didn't take off.
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
> > When you say "distributed RCS", are thinking about distributed
> > versioning systems such as Bazaar[1] or GNU Arch?
>
> or Darcs or Monotone or ... Personally, I've avoided Bazaar,

Is there any specific reason why you avoided Bazaar?
Are you referring to Bazaar (debian package "bazaar" in sarge, etch &
sid) or Bazaar-ng (debian package "bzr" in etch & sid)?

> but they
> all give ways for developers to collaborate easily. Even mailing diffs
> beats waiting for some repository in a far-away land to synchronise
> with your machine and the poor permission structure of some services.
> If you have collaborators, ask them what they need.

I haven't any (yet).

> If you don't yet,
> leave the way open to users of other systems by producing tarballs and
> patches regularly.

Gzipped tar archives are planned for every new released version.
I'm still at version 0.4, because of lack of time, and above all things,
because I wanted to release, before going on any further...
"release early, release often"!

> > Doesn't they need at least one networked machine to make patchsets
> > (or the like) available to the public?
>
> Yes. Some can upload to any old web or ftp space (tla can, for
> example), so you don't need the networked machine to run the software.

If I understood correctly, Bazaar-ng can work similarly in this respect.

> It can be really dumb if you want, like an ISP's free space.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm really considering this possibility.

P.S.: we are going a bit OT for debian-legal... I'd suggest continuing
in private, if you would like to reply (unless others explicitly ask
otherwise!).

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4