Re: FYI: Savannah seems to reject "GPLv2 only" projects

Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it>
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:28:03 +0000 MJ Ray wrote:
> > Long term, hosting it yourself under a distributed RCS and using
> > something like DOAP to keep project metadata seems the best bet.  If
> > others would like to help document the tools and methods, please let
> > me know and we can make it a proof-of-concept project, hack support
> > into existing hosts and that sort of thing. I had a bit of an attempt
> > with coopX some years ago, but it was too early and didn't take off.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
> When you say "distributed RCS", are thinking about distributed
> versioning systems such as Bazaar[1] or GNU Arch?

or Darcs or Monotone or ... Personally, I've avoided Bazaar, but they
all give ways for developers to collaborate easily. Even mailing diffs
beats waiting for some repository in a far-away land to synchronise
with your machine and the poor permission structure of some services.
If you have collaborators, ask them what they need. If you don't yet,
leave the way open to users of other systems by producing tarballs and
patches regularly.

> Doesn't they need at least one networked machine to make patchsets (or
> the like) available to the public?

Yes. Some can upload to any old web or ftp space (tla can, for example),
so you don't need the networked machine to run the software. It can be
really dumb if you want, like an ISP's free space.

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef