Re: portaudio in Debian, license updates?

This one time, at band camp, Junichi Uekawa said:
> However, portaudio looks non-free to me.
>
> http://www.portaudio.com/license.html: * Any person wishing to
> distribute modifications to the Software is requested to send the
> modifications to the original developer so that they can be
> incorporated into the canonical version.

While it would be nice to have that clarified (so as to put it outside
the 'conditions' block), it clearly says 'request', which does not have
the same meaning as 'require'.  I am not sure how a request to do
something is non-free.  We allow requests in other licenses (charityware
and so forth spring to mind immediately).