Re: A new practical problem with invariant sections?

Anthony DeRobertis <anthony@derobert.net> wrote:
>But, there is a problem: My portable device understands only ASCII, or
>maybe ISO-8859-1 if I'm lucky (at least in the US, this is pretty
>common). It doesn't understand UTF-8, Shift-JIS, etc. It is not
>technically possible to keep the Japanese invariant section.

Oh, it's possible, the section just ends up as unreadable garbage.  Nothing in
the GFDL requires that the invariant sections be readable.

Likewise, it must retain its original Japanese title, so the table of contents
will contain a line of unreadable garbage.

Of course, I think requiring that a modified work contain unreadable garbage
is a non-free restriction.  But at least this is *possible*.  :-)

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@twcny.rr.com>

A thousand reasons. http://www.thousandreasons.org/
Lies, theft, war, kidnapping, torture, rape, murder...
Get me out of this fascist nightmare!