Re: PHP License for PHP Group packages

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 08:24:08PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:

> Point 6 is broken for anything !PHP.

No, it isn't.  The current point 6 is:

  6. Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following
     acknowledgment:
     "This product includes PHP software, freely available from
     <http://www.php.net/software/>".

It does not say "this product contains PHP", or "this product contains the
PHP engine"; it says it includes PHP *software*, which is true, as the
software it includes comes from the PHP Group.  So it seems to be equally
true for PHP, and any packages implemented in PHP, if they are available
from http://www.php.net/software/ (which PEAR is).

> "THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE PHP DEVELOPMENT TEAM ``AS IS'' AND "
> is also wrong for anything which is not from the PHP Team.

Agreed; this license is still not suitable for software that doesn't come
from the PHP Group.

> The whole part after the last ----- line is also useless for nearly
> anything out there, but except the first sentence they dont matter.
> I dont think the php group really wants to take the blame for all the
> bullshit people may produce, using one of those php licenses.

> IMO not ok for PEAR, any random phpFOO, but of course still ok for php
> itself.

Why would it not be ok for PEAR?  The PHP Group is upstream for PEAR.