Re: Affero General Public License

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Josh Triplett wrote:

They may require that if the work interacts with users, but the
interface is such that those users do not receive a copy of the
software, you must still satisfy the requirements of clause 6
("Non-Source Distribution") as though you had distributed the work to
those users in the form of Object Code.

Should a smaller list than d-l be used for brainstorming this? I'm happy to join (or not, at your request, depending on whether my critiques are helpful or harmful), but I hesitate to spam d-l too much with it while working out the basics.

My first suggestion would be to try to word a license clause you believe meets the requirements, THEN figure out how to word GPLv3 to be compatible with it. The extra layer of indirection is confusing.

My second is that you will need to define "interacts" and "users" pretty carefully here. I have a lot of code I wrote that doesn't interact with users, but with other programs (say, Apache) that interact with other programs (say, a TCP/IP stack) that interact with other programs (routers, other tcp/ip stacks, and finally a browser program) that may have a user.

I believe I could reasonably claim that I am the sole user of the software, as I caused it to be run. --