Re: KDE application relicensing

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 11:24:04AM -0000, Regis Boudin wrote:
> Oops, soory for that. He is relicensing under FreeBSD Documentaion
> License. I heve no idea where the BSDDL abreviation comes from.

I'd still never heard of it; Google was able to find it, and I
recognize it as a license that came up recently.  See
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2006/01/msg00649.html .

It's not a great license.  I concur with Walter's explanation of the
problems and recommendation to use a standard license instead of this
custom thing.

It's disappointing that FreeBSD uses a different license for
documentation than programs, even though the spirit of the terms
are identical.  Why make things so complicated?  Use the same license.

I also notice that the list of "forms" in the one I found differs from the
ones in the one we reviewed recently.  The nature of this license is
that it's likely to be modified a little every time someone uses it.
Like the BSD license, it also requires the disclaimer text be modified,
which is why I recommend the MIT/X11 license, which can be used verbatim.

***

The FreeBSD Documentation License
Copyright 1994-2005 The FreeBSD Project. All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source (SGML DocBook) and 'compiled' forms
(SGML, HTML, PDF, PostScript, RTF and so forth) with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
met:

Redistributions of source code (SGML DocBook) must retain the above
copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer
as the first lines of this file unmodified.

Redistributions in compiled form (transformed to other DTDs, converted
to PDF, PostScript, RTF and other formats) must reproduce the above
copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer
in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
distribution.

THIS DOCUMENTATION IS PROVIDED BY THE FREEBSD DOCUMENTATION PROJECT "AS
IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE FREEBSD
DOCUMENTATION PROJECT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR
PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
DOCUMENTATION, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

--
Glenn Maynard