Re: FYI, kernel firmware non-freeness discussions

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 12:06:44AM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > That said, if not d-legal, then at least d-project.
>
> Indeed - I think discussion what what the DFSG /should/ mean (such as
> whether source code is required for certain items) is a project wide
> decision rather than a legal one.

And the members of the project who have an interest in such matters
are, by definition, the ones that subscribe to -legal. Continually
trying to make out that an open subscription mailing list is some form
of cabal, and that it is somehow in opposition to the rest of the
project, is the stuff we'd expect of one of Terekhov's more delusional
conspiracy theories.

No matter how much you try to set them up in opposition to each other,
the Debian mailing lists are divided by *topic*, nothing more. Matters
relating to the DFSG are quite clearly on-topic for -legal, rather
than one of the catch-all lists.

This is not some government organisation, where decisions are handed
out to different committees. This is a system for classifying
discussions to make it easier to find the ones you're interested
in. Anybody with an interest and a reasonable grasp of English can
participate.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |