Re: AROS License DFSG ok?

Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>>Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
>>>However, 8.2b terminates rights when you sue a Participant alleging that
>>>*anything* infringes any patent.
>>>
>>>As far as I know, *nobody* thinks that is OK.  For instance, it could be over
>>>Participant's use of your patent for extracting aluminum from ore.
>>
>>It terminates a right we don't require in the first place. If the patent
>>is actively enforced, we potentially have problems - if it isn't, why is
>>it more of a problem than a license which didn't grant those permissions
>>in the first place?
>
> Thus is not just about software patents.  If I have invented a new
> Wheel, and microsoft rips me off and begins producing my Wheel, I
> would like to sue them to get them to stop.  If they're a Participant
> here, I can't do so!  At least, if I do sue them, I lose my copyright
> license to this software.

Actually, no, you don't.  8.2a says that if you sue a Participant saying
*the software* infringes a patent, you lose the entire license.  8.2b
says that if you sue a Participant over *any patent*, you lose *only
their patent license for the software*.  Hence Matthew's statement that
"It terminates a right we don't require in the first place.".

- Josh Triplett