Re: AROS License DFSG ok?

Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> However, 8.2b terminates rights when you sue a Participant alleging that
>> *anything* infringes any patent.
>>
>> As far as I know, *nobody* thinks that is OK.  For instance, it could be over
>> Participant's use of your patent for extracting aluminum from ore.
>
> It terminates a right we don't require in the first place. If the patent
> is actively enforced, we potentially have problems - if it isn't, why is
> it more of a problem than a license which didn't grant those permissions
> in the first place?

Thus is not just about software patents.  If I have invented a new
Wheel, and microsoft rips me off and begins producing my Wheel, I
would like to sue them to get them to stop.  If they're a Participant
here, I can't do so!  At least, if I do sue them, I lose my copyright
license to this software.

Surely you agree that a clause restricting licensees from suing
licensors at all would be non-free?

-Brian