Re: Proposed license for IETF Contributions

"Bernhard R. Link" <brlink@debian.org> writes:

> * Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> [051209 10:38]:
>>              (b) do not claim endorsement of the modified work by the
>>                  Contributor, or any organization the Contributor
>>                  belongs to, the Internet Engineering Task Force
>>                  (IETF), Internet Research Task Force (IRTF), Internet
>>                  Engineering Steering Group (IESG), Internet
>>                  Architecture Board (IAB), Internet Assigned Numbers
>>                  Authority (IANA), Internet Society (ISOC), Request
>>                  For Comments (RFC) Editor, or any combination or
>>                  variation of such terms (including without limitation
>>                  the IETF "4 diamonds" logo), or any terms that are
>>                  confusingly similar thereto, and
> I do not believe that such a clause is necessary to be also
> added into a copyright license, but if it is wanted there, please add
> some escape route in there, so that one can tell about endorsement if there
> is any. Some often found clause it something like "without prior written
> auhtorization from ..."

The escape clause is present in the main paragraph:

    c.  The Contributor grants third parties the irrevocable
        right to copy, use and distribute the Contribution, with
        or without modification, in any medium, without royalty,
        provided that, unless separate permission is granted,
        redistributed modified works:

I don't think we should restrict ourselves to only written
permissions.

Thanks,
Simon