Re: Proposed license for IETF Contributions

Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 09:39:34PM +0100, Francesco Poli wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:28:48 +0100 Simon Josefsson wrote:
>>
>> > Btw, the latest revised license reads:
>> >
>> >     c.  The Contributor grants third parties the irrevocable
>> >         right to copy, use and distribute the Contribution, with
>> >         or without modification, in any medium, without royalty,
>> >         provided that unauthorized redistributed modified works
>> >         do not contain misleading author, version, name of work,
>> >         or endorsement information.  This specifically implies,
>> >         for instance, that unauthorized redistributed modified
>> >         works must not claim endorsement of the modified work by
>> >         the IETF, IESG, IANA, IAB, ISOC, RFC Editor, or any
>> >         similar organization, and remove any claims of status as
>> >         an Internet Standard, e.g., by removing the RFC
>> >         boilerplate.  The IETF requests that any citation or
>> >         excerpt of unmodified text reference the RFC or other
>> >         document from which the text is derived.
>>
>> s/unauthorized redistributed/redistributed unofficial/  , I would say...
>>
>> The term "unauthorized" makes me think about a license violation, which
>> is not what is meant here, IIUC.
> Agree; I considered suggesting "not explicitly authorized".

I agree, and I'm using the wording suggested by Nathanael; "without
separate permission".

> I would also suggest to remove the preface "This specifically
> implies, for instance, that", and just use the additional "don't
> imply endorsement" phrase.

Agreed.  I have changed the complete license to:

    c.  The Contributor grants third parties the irrevocable
        right to copy, use and distribute the Contribution, with
        or without modification, in any medium, without royalty,
        provided that unauthorized redistributed modified works
        do not contain misleading author, version, name of work,
        or endorsement information.  Without separate permission,
        redistributed modified works must (a) not claim
        endorsement of the modified work by the IETF, IESG, IANA,
        IAB, ISOC, RFC Editor, or any similar organization, and
        (b) remove any claims of status as an Internet Standard,
        for example, by removing the RFC boilerplate.  The IETF
        suggests that any citation or excerpt of unmodified text
        reference the RFC or other document from which the text
        is derived.

Thanks,
Simon