Re: Licenses for DebConf6

Scripsit Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org>

>         While I am undecided how much I am willing to fight for DFSG
>  freeness, and not sending people the message that Debian only fights
>  for DFSG freeness when it is other peoepls free documentation, and
>  blithely accepts whatever goes when it comes to their own
>  convenience,

Debian *does* blithely accept whatever goes when it is not going to be
distributed in main.

>         And, thankfully, they do not come with the imprimatur of the
>  Debian project, as Debconf seems to.

Accoding to my dictionary, "imprimatur" is an official permission to
print books, used in countries that do not have freedom of the press.
If Debconf needs such a permission, I'd say it's a sign that it has
chosen to print the proccedings in a wrong country.

>         If Debian lends it names to a compilation of papers
>  distributed by it, such as it may be construed as the compilation
>  product of the Debian project, or in any way part of Debian, we are
>  constrained to have that compilation be free.

Who says so? In which way does this argument not extend to the
compilation of software we distribute under the name 'non-free', which
may be construed as a compilation product of the Debian project?

--
Henning Makholm                                      "Punctuation, is? fun!"