Re: Licenses for DebConf6

Scripsit Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it>

> That's why I consider this issue as an important one: every DebConf is
> an event through which we get public attention and can thus spread our
> philosophy. The message really works better if we act consistently with
> our philosophy, IMHO.

We do not have a philosophy that says that everything ought to be
DFSG-free.

We have a philosophy that says that we only distribute things in main
if they are DFSG-free. That is a different thing.

> Just like a Debian package doesn't enter main, until it meets Policy
> requirements (DFSG-freeness being one of them).

DebConf papers will not be distributed in main.

> Actually the C4P already requires some permissions from the authors:

> | Debconf requires non-exclusive publication rights to papers,
> | presentations, and any additional handouts or audio/visual materials
> | used in conjunction with the presentation.

And this requirement would be a no-op under your theory that a
DFSG-free license for the papers is required. Therefore I conclude
that your theory is wrong.

> What I suggest is simply adding one further condition.

For the record, I oppose this suggestion.

--
Henning Makholm     Science, by its nature, is an uncertain undertaking, and
                  offers plenty of opportunity for failure no matter how you